Saturday, March 30, 2013

Evidence of Life

Barbara Taylor Sissel

On the last ordinary day of her life, Abby Bennett feels like the luckiest woman alive. But everyone knows that luck doesn't last forever...

As her husband, Nick, and daughter, Lindsey, embark on a weekend camping trip to the Texas Hill Country, Abby looks forward to having some quiet time to herself. She braids Lindsey's hair, reminds Nick to drive safely and kisses them both goodbye. For a brief moment, Abby thinks she has it all-a perfect marriage, a perfect life-until a devastating storm rips through the region, and her family vanishes without a trace.

When Nick and Lindsey are presumed dead, lost in the raging waters, Abby refuses to give up hope. Consumed by grief and clinging to her belief that her family is still alive, she sets out to find them. But as disturbing clues begin to surface, Abby realizes that the truth may be far more sinister than she imagined. Soon she finds herself caught in a current of lies that threaten to unhinge her and challenge everything she once believed about her marriage and family.

My Thoughts

I thought this was an interesting story. I did find myself wondering how I would handle it if someone in my life just suddenly disappeared and was considered presumed dead. Presumed being the key word here. I think not knowing with 100% certainty would drive me nuts, and I thought the author did a good job of portraying how this impacted Abby.

I was miffed at how some of Abby’s support team treated her. I was annoyed with Abby’s wishy-washy behavior - although I think this was reflective of her desire to know what happened versus moving on with the life. I always maintain that when an author can evoke these kind of feelings from me, then they have done a good job writing the story.

This was my first book by this author and I am definitely interested in checking out some of her other writings.

My thanks to Harequin Mira, via Netgalley, for allowing me to read this in exchange for an unbiased review.

Published date: March 26, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment