Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin #2)

Robin LaFevers



Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for? (Cover image and synopsis courtesy of Netgalley).



My Thoughts
 
I remember when I found out at the end of Grave Mercy - His Fair Assassin #1 (one of my most favorite reads in 2012) that book #2 would be about Sybella, I wondered exactly how the author was going to incorporate this character into the story line. Was it even possible for this to be as good as book #1?

Oh - not only was it possible, but Dark Triumph surpassed any and all expectations. It has all the mystery and intrigue of life within the Brittany court. The politics and back stabbing (both literally and figuratively). The suspense and infighting. And best of all, the story of Sybella and the Beast. This was beautiful. I don’t want to ruin it for future readers, but suffice it to say that this part of the story brought a tear to my eye. The only thing I am sad about is that I am at the end of this delightful book and have to wait patiently for book #3.

I am eternally grateful to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Netgalley for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: April 2, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment