Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sweet Tooth


Serena Frome, the beautiful daughter of an Anglican bishop, has a brief affair with an older man during her final year at Cambridge, and finds herself being groomed for the intelligence service. The year is 1972. Britain, confronting economic disaster, is being torn apart by industrial unrest and terrorism and faces its fifth state of emergency. The Cold War has entered a moribund phase, but the fight goes on, especially in the cultural sphere. Serena, a compulsive reader of novels, is sent on a secret mission codenamed Sweet Tooth, which brings her into the literary world of Tom Healey, a promising young writer. First she loves his stories, then she begins to love the man. Can she maintain the fiction of her undercover life? And who is inventing whom? To answer these questions, Serena must abandon the first rule of espionage - trust no one   (Book cover and overview from Goodreads)

My Thoughts

Ingenious!

Serena comes across as self-adoring but at her core is very good hearted. I often laughed at her private thoughts, which is all the more interesting given the ending. Tom is sweet natured and seems naive, but don’t let that fool you.
 
Another book where the ending totally surprised me. Along the way, my theory on how this would end was forever changing and none of my thoughts where right! This is the second book I have read by Mr. McEwan and I am sold. How exactly do you come up with a story like this? In my humble opinion, this story was just smart, smart , smart.

Lucky me for getting this from Doubleday Publishing via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: November 13, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment