Friday, November 2, 2012

Slammed

by



Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart (from Goodreads)


My Thoughts

This was excellent!

I was a bit skeptical going into this book. This has an average rating of 4.4 on Goodreads. I’m not sure I have seen a book with this many reviews have such a high average. Was it really that good? And just what the heck is slam poetry and how is this going to play into the storyline?

The answer is YES - it really is that good. I want you to read it, so I am not going to tell you what slam poetry is all about. I absolutely fell in love with every character (except one - read the book). And I even teared up. Now that is saying a lot from me. I might think a book is sad - but actual tears due to a story are fairly rare from me.

And this is a debut novel for Ms. Hoover - no way. Bravo, Ms. Hoover, Bravo!

I want to thank Atria Publishing and Netgalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: January 5, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment