Monday, September 12, 2011

Call Me Princess: A NovelCall Me Princess: A Novel by Sara Blaedel

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Book Overview:

A young woman in Copenhagen, Susanne Hansson, becomes the victim of an unusually brutal rape attack in her own home. Detective inspector Louise Rick is summoned to talk to the victim, where she quickly determines that Susanne met the rapist via a dating website.

The police suspect that the rapist may have been caught on video in the subway, so Louise and a colleague go through the tapes. They’re lucky enough to find him, but unfortunately the image is blurry and shows him only in profile. In the meantime Louise becomes more and more immersed in the online dating world. In her search she comes across the web site “nightwatch.dk,” which allows her to upload images that show people out in the night-time scene and who they’re with. She finds a picture of the man, who is now calling himself “Prinzz.” She contacts him using the name "Princess," and they agree to meet.

With a climax as suspenseful as it is shocking, Sara Blaedel's American debut confirms her as one of the brightest stars in the new wave of Scandinavian crime novelists that has riveted the attention of readers around the world.

My thoughts:

I really did not care for this book. I was easily 2/3 of the way thru the story before it even got anywhere near exciting – and to say exciting would be a stretch. I just felt like the author was trying to add length to the book instead of substance.

I also felt the main character, Louise Rick, was very inconsistent. First she comes across as strong and independent. Then she seems weak and needy. Has sympathy for the victims, then doesn’t. Has sympathy for the rapist, then doesn’t. Why would she even have sympathy for the rapist?

The overview says the climax was as suspenseful as it is shocking, but I found the ending to be somewhat unbelievable – and I don’t mean – WOW – that was unbelievable! I mean – WOW – that was ridiculous.

Thank you to NetGalley and Open Road Publishing for allowing me to read this ARC.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment