Monday, October 28, 2013

A Study in Silks



Emma Jane Holloway



Evelina Cooper, the niece of the great Sherlock Holmes, is poised to enjoy her first Season in London Society. But there’s a murderer to deal with—not to mention missing automatons, a sorcerer, and a talking mouse.

In a Victorian era ruled by a council of ruthless steam barons, mechanical power is the real monarch and sorcery the demon enemy of the Empire. Nevertheless, the most coveted weapon is magic that can run machines—something Evelina has secretly mastered. But rather than making her fortune, her special talents could mean death or an eternity as a guest of Her Majesty’s secret laboratories. What’s a polite young lady to do but mind her manners and pray she’s never found out?

But then there’s that murder. As Sherlock Holmes’s niece, Evelina should be able to find the answers, but she has a lot to learn. And the first decision she has to make is whether to trust the handsome, clever rake who makes her breath come faster, or the dashing trick rider who would dare anything for her if she would only just ask (from Netgalley)


My Thoughts

Evelina Cooper is caught between her past life as a circus performer and the possibilities of her new life amidst London’s upper crust of society. When a murder occurs in the home of her friend, Evie decides to try and solve it. In the process, she becomes tangled in more mystery and intrigue that should could have ever imagined.

When I start a story that is 500+ pages by an author I am not familiar with, I sometimes think - boy, I sure hope I’m going to like this. Will I like the author’s writing style? Will the story be interesting enough to carry from beginning to end?

I’m thrilled to say the answer to my questions was a resounding Yes! I was hooked from the beginning. I really liked Evie - she’s smart, feisty and wants to be independent. She’s loyal and helpful to her friends. The story had plenty of twists and ended with a nice cliff hanger that left me wanting more. Fortunately, I have the next book - A Study in Darkness - waiting in the wings.

Thanks to Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra, via Netgalley, for allowing me to read this in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: September 24, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment