Thursday, February 7, 2013

Shadow on the Crown
Patricia Bracewell

A rich tale of power and forbidden love revolving around a young medieval queen

In 1002, fifteen� year old Emma of Normandy crosses the Narrow Sea to wed the much older King Athelred of England, whom she meets for the first time at the church door. Thrust into an unfamiliar and treacherous court, with a husband who mistrusts her, stepsons who resent her and a bewitching rival who covets her crown, Emma must defend herself against her enemies and secure her status as queen by bearing a son.

Determined to outmaneuver her adversaries, Emma forges alliances with influential men at court and wins the affection of the English people. But her growing love for a man who is not her husband and the imminent threat of a Viking invasion jeopardize both her crown and her life.

Based on real events recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Shadow on the Crown introduces readers to a fascinating, overlooked period of history and an unforgettable heroine whose quest to find her place in the world will resonate with modern readers. ICover image and synopsis from Netgalley)


My Thoughts


I have said many times that history was never more forte during my school years. Now I find that I enjoy both history and historical fiction. This book falls into the later category and is a perfect example of why I’m enjoying this genre so much.

Emma of Normandy - as the synopsis tells us is only fifteen when she is used as a pawn in the political chess game of European politics and married to the King of England. Her mother’s last words of wisdom were basically - you will be Queen. Make sure you command the respect the title deserves. Emma takes this advice to heart and I am hear to tell you, she is feisty, determined, intelligent and crafty while being kind hearted and loving.

I thought Ms. Bracewell did an amazing job of weaving fact into a thoroughly enjoyable work of fiction. This book covers the early years in Emma’s role as Queen of England and I am pleased as punch that this is book one of a trilogy. I, like I’m sure many others, will be anxiously awaiting to hear the remaining story of Emma.

Many thanks to Penguin Group Viking and Netgalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an unbiased review.

Publish date: February 7, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment