Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2)

by

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown"—the thrilling sequel to the New York Times bestseller A Discovery of Witches

Deborah Harkness exploded onto the literary scene with her debut novel, A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy and an international publishing phenomenon. The novel introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.
Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches’ cliffhanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew’s old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens. (Synopsis from Goodreads).

 

My Thoughts


I so loved this continuing tale of Diana and Matthew. I call both books in this trilogy my “escape” books. Ms Harkness writes with such depth of character and scenic detail, that I often feel like I am in the book. When I read her stories, all sound is blocked out and time is irrelevant. Then, I look up to discover it is 2012 and I am in the Midwest, USA!

We meet many interesting characters in book #2, not the least of which is Matthew’s father, Phillipe. We also get to meet Diana’s father who had also time traveled back to Elizabethan London, but in current times is already dead. Make sense? You’ll need to read the books, as I feel like I’ve already told too much.

My dream vacation will occur when book #3 is published. I’m going to lock myself away somewhere and escape one more time within this truly delightful story. This is what story telling is all about!

I bow in gratitude to Netgalley and Penguin Group (USA) for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review.

Publish date: July 10, 2012

My Rating:  5 of 5

3 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this..and delighted by how many new posts you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great!!! I reviewed this book too!!! It's great!!! In case u are interested it's on my blog www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the comments. Amy - I checked out your blog and you have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete