Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Talulla Rising
(The Last Werewolf #2)

By Glen Duncan





 







Overview from Goodreads:
When I change I change fast. The moon drags the whatever-it-is up from the earth and it goes through me with crazy wriggling impatience . . . I’m twisted, torn, churned, throttled—then rushed through a blind chicane into ludicrous power . . . A heel settles. A last canine hurries through. A shoulder blade pops. The woman is a werewolf.
The woman is Talulla Demetriou. She’s grieving for her werewolf lover, Jake, whose violent death has left her alone with her own sublime monstrousness. On the run, pursued by the hunters of WOCOP (World Organisation for the Control of Occult Phenomena), she must find a place to give birth to Jake’s child in secret. The birth, under a full moon at a remote Alaska lodge, leaves Talulla ravaged, but with her infant son in her arms she believes the worst is over—until the windows crash in, and she discovers that the worst has only just begun . . .
What follows throws Talulla into a race against time to save both herself and her child as she faces down the new, psychotic leader of WOCOP, a cabal of blood-drinking religious fanatics, and (rumor has it) the oldest living vampire.

My Thoughts:
As much as I liked the first book of this trilogy, The Last Werewolf, I absolutely loved Talulla Rising. I had a rollercoaster of emotions for Talulla. I was sad for her, happy for her, and cheered for her. Often I was frightened for her. I felt like I was watching the really scary part of a movie, when you put your hands over your face because your too scared to watch - but then you just have to peek through your fingers because you really do want to know what happens.

Talulla is very smart. Even though the Wulf in her is strong, she uses some of those werewolf traits to help when she is in her human form. She meets up with, and is helped by some very interesting characters.

All in all, this book was excellent. The author left me anxiously waiting for book three to see how he decides to end this fun tale. I do want to say this, Mr. Duncan. If something dastardly happens to Talulla in book three, I will be very miffed.

The publishing date for this book is June 26, 2012.

Thank you to Netgalley and Knopf-Doubleday Publishing for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I need to check out this series. Talulla sounds like a strong protagonist. Awesome review

    ReplyDelete