Monday, April 2, 2012


Loading...

Nevermore





Overview from Goodreads:
Age heralds the dawn of swinging music, sexy flappers, bathtub gin and gruesome murder...

Though vaudeville is dying, Houdini still dazzles audiences -- and wages war with corrupt mediums. At the same time, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle arrives in America to lecture on the occult, only to face frequent visits from what appears to be the restless spirit of Edgar

The Jazz Age heralds the dawn of swinging music, sexy flappers, bathtub gin and gruesome murder...
Though vaudeville is dying, Houdini still dazzles audiences -- and wages war with corrupt mediums. At the same time, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle arrives in America to lecture on the occult, only to face frequent visits from what appears to be the restless spirit of Edgar Allen Poe. But soon Houdini and Doyle find their lives irrevocably linked by dark, earthly forces.
When mutilated bodies begin turning up around New York City, a shocking pattern emerges: the killings mirror the grisly murders found in Poe's chilling stories. Now Houdini and Doyle must outwit a clever killer, before they themselves become history.

My Thoughts:

I have mixed feelings about this book.  It never really “hooked” me and I was probably 2/3 of the way through before it pulled together and become somewhat intriguing.   I thought the author wrote eloquently, but there were parts of the story that just didn’t seem to add any value to the overall plot.
It seemed like Houdini and Conan Doyle spent a large part of the story going down separate paths.  It wasn’t until that last 1/3 or so that the storyline really brought them together, and that is when things really picked up.  At this point, I continued to read because I was interested enough to see who the killer was and how the author would end it all.
This is the first book I have read by Mr. Hjortsberg.  His writing was good enough that I would be interested in checking out some of his other books.
Thank you to Netgalley and Open Road Books for allowing me to read this in exchange for my unbiased review.
This publish date for this book is March 13, 2012.
My Rating:  ***

1 comment:

  1. Great review Lisa, I am sorry the book never hooked you. I often want to edit out things in books that don't seem relevant!

    ReplyDelete